Thursday, 28 January 2016

Secret Garden Artist's Edition by Johanna Basford

Adult colouring books are becoming more popular every day. Is that because engaging in such activity relaxes us? Sure, but I also think they are a real helper for the spirit. We all have not particularly bright days so, instead of making them worse with our dark mood, why don't add some colour and let it lighten the day?


When I got the Secret Garden Artist's Edition, my first thought was how pretty the cover looked but then my eyes started picturing it all coloured and . . . Yep, much better, don't you think? ;)

After getting the cover sorted, I turned every page and looked at the 20 illustrations inside. I must say, they are all lovely and really call your artistic side, but a few drawings particularly got my attention and those are the ones I'm going to show you.


I truly like this one! It's the first I chose to colour and I was pleased with how it turned out. It's simple, colourful and it actually puts a smile on my face when I look at it.


I won't lie to you, this definitely got my attention for its heart shape. I wanted the colours to be bright but classy, so I thought I'd use both styles to complement the two parts of the heart. Here at home the result seems to have been quite appreciated.


This one is one of my personal favourites. I wanted to do something similar to the heart shaped design, but this time around I opted for something that would have a stronger impact. Do you think I succeeded in that?


How cool is that I've been asked to frame this owl? To be honest, I wouldn't mind. Believe it or not, the leafs took me more time to colour than the owl itself, but the colour combination made me very happy!


And then it comes the peacock . . . It was too charming to resist, don't you agree? I chose to pick those colours I love and make my own peacock stand. I must say, I like the tail and I don't regret my choices.


Come on, I coloured the front, could I have not coloured the back of this amazing book? ;) If you like this illustration, though, know that there's the bigger version of this tree inside the book for you to have fun with.

This has been my first try with an adult colouring book and it won't certainly be my last! I used pencils (I personally love them the most), but you can definitely use pens as well because the pages are quite thick and the colour won't get through the back and ruin the next illustration. Indeed, the quality is just that good! It takes a lot of time to colour each illustration, but that is so the point of these books. They distract your mind from the everyday life and they give you an enjoyable, relaxing time. If you haven't started one yet, I would remedy to that soon and, why not, right with this one!

*I was kindly gifted this book by Midas PR
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...